Thursday, June 28, 2012

Onbuhimo

Isaac curled up in his new Onbuhimo


The past month or so many an afternoon has been interrupted by a cranky sleepy baby/toddler who neither seems to want to be carried nor put down. And so begins the up, down, up, down that is very difficult on the 30 weeks pregnant spine until the little guy finally falls asleep. He has also weaned recently and is still trying to figure out a way to fall asleep. I thought baby wearing might be helpful and comforting to him since when he becomes moody he wants to be on me but pushes my arms away. I have several baby carriers but unfortunately they tie/buckle around the hips and since I carry low I am usually unable to use these carriers during my pregnancies. I decided to purchase an Onbuhimo, a Japanese style baby carrier that like most Asian carriers, is made with a rectangular piece of cloth. The Onbu has only two straps at the top and then a pair of rings at the bottom, and can be tied above high, above the belly.
Just as I was checking the mail Isaac was beginning to throw a fit and I was happy to see that in the mail was my Onbu order! So I popped him in right away and it worked like a charm. He instantly quieted down and I proceeded back to the kitchen chores and the laundry I was folding, with him sitting quietly on my back. He soon fell asleep and I was able to carefully transfer him off of my back still sleeping.
Alice thought the carrier was beautiful and called it a "piggy back carrier" because I was wearing him on my back. She also commented "It's a good thing it's a piggy back carrier, since Isaac is a piggy" (I affectionately call him piggy sometimes because he eats a lot). 

I purchased this custom toddler size Onbu from twomommasdesigns.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment